Saturday, October 30, 2010

Nick

On our first day of practice for our fall ball team I asked every player what position they played. Player after player told me they played short stop or second base or pitched. Then finally a young man spoke up and said, "I'm Nick. I'll play any position you need me to play coach!" I looked at him and said, "That's the best answer any one has ever given me!"

I then gave the call for the players to hit the field and warm up by throwing to each other. It didn't take long to see Nick hadn't played much baseball. He could barely throw or catch and when he had his chance to bat, it was obvious that it had been years, or maybe never had this young man picked up a bat.

We spent the past two months practicing and playing games. Nick would stop by our baseball facility and practice every once in awhile on his own. I would work with him and encourage him as much as I could. Every game day I agonized over when or where Nick should play. I was afraid he might get hurt being that some of the 13 and 14 year old boys were over 6 feet tall and could slam a baseball that could take out a veteran of the game. But Nick was always ready to get into the game. I would bat him at the end of the line up and allow him to spend a few innings in right field. It seemed the safest place for him.

Two weeks ago we had a tournament. We were in a tied game and it was the last inning. Our players were doing well and it was Nick's turn to play right field. We had one out and they had a runner on second. Their biggest kid steps up to the plate and I had a feeling where he was going to hit the ball. When teams figured out who couldn't catch a ball they would try to hit it to him. So I yell at Nick and tell him to back up closer to the fence. After a couple of pitches the batter slams one of the highest longest balls we had seen all year....right at Nick. We all held our breath and Nick ran back a few steps, turned to look for the ball and stuck both hands up in the air. The ball came down right into Nick's glove! He caught it! He was so excited he started jumping around and while doing that...the runner tagged and ran all the way home from second base. We lost the game but everyone on the team was congratulating Nick for his outstanding catch! It was well worth the loss.

Then last weekend Nick got his first hit of the year! Right over the first baseman's head! It was a great day to see the smile on his face and to know that the past couple of months have been worth it. I was so proud of him that I finally put him in the next inning at....second base! He did his job and was pumped that he finally got to play something other than right field.

Today were our last games of the season. Nick laid down a beautiful bunt in the first game with runners on second and third and both runners scored! The second game Nick had played right field and walked a few times. During the 4th inning I asked Nick, "What position do you want to play?" He said, "You know I'll play anywhere coach! I told you that before!" I just smiled and said, "I like that answer! Why don't you finish off the season and play second base?" He smiled and ran out onto the field ending the season as the Tennessee Chiefs second baseman.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome story!

Ruth W. said...

loved it, we all can learn something from Nick.

quig said...

That is a beautiful story, I am crying......